About Me

My Photo
Since becoming an expat in 2008, my life has taken on new meaning. Trading a life of abundance and excess in the US for the unfamiliar and the unexpected while abroad has opened doors I never knew existed. Like adding a pinch of a curious spice to a familiar dish, each new adventure offers a new perspective on the world I thought I knew. And, as it turns out I like a lot of spice! “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Destination Known

Living life in limbo for the last eighteen months has been anything but easy. Having no answers to life's big questions pushed my patience to its limits. For me, lack of foresight, the inability to make any kind of long range plans, and the seemingly eternal wait left me feeling powerless and filled with hopeless optimism. I was reduced to asking questions there were no answers to, and questions were asked of me that I couldn't answer. Life was at a crossroads as Jeff's graduation date drew nearer and the future was just as uncertain as ever. And then Spring arrived, bringing with it opportunities in our next adopted city...


Madrid: big city, big change! While leaving Barcelona will be difficult (*sigh*...an entry for another day), we're looking forward to living in Spain's bustling capital. Being Europe's third largest city, we're sure there will be no shortage of surprises waiting for us in the coming months and we'll need some time to adjust. But our excitement isn't just about moving as there's something quite unbelievable about our situation. Not only did Jeff manage to get a job in one of the hardest hit countries in the EU by the economic crisis, so did I! This fall I will be teaching grade 7 at the American School of Madrid. Not once, but twice we have been able to land jobs and make a comfortable life in a country where employment is at an all time high and morale is low. We can't help but believe that this is where we're supposed to be...for now.

But adventures in Barcelona aren't over yet. There's plenty of life to be lived as the city is waking up from its winter hibernation and the days are heating up. The sun is shining well into the early evening giving us the most out of the days we have left in our beloved Barcelona.

2 comments:

  1. Madrid will be having to have you! It's such a nice city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new look! Let's not discuss you leaving Barcelona yet . . . :)

    ReplyDelete