About Me

My Photo
Since becoming an expat in 2008, my life has taken on new meaning. Trading a life of abundance and excess in the US for the unfamiliar and the unexpected while abroad has opened doors I never knew existed. Like adding a pinch of a curious spice to a familiar dish, each new adventure offers a new perspective on the world I thought I knew. And, as it turns out I like a lot of spice! “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

In Search of the Little Things

Happy Hour
Lounging poolside on the bay

I'm sitting on the balcony at my temporary home in South Beach, drinking a Corona and watching a subtle sunset over the bay. The sky is painted in hues of soft pinks and oranges, and each time I look up from my computer screen I find them slipping away to dull greys.
It's easy to get absorbed into this show mother nature displays each evening. I often refer to it as my favorite time of day, the time just before twilight when the world seems to glow in technicolor. Like when Dorothy first lays her eyes upon Oz, I'm reawakened to the colors of the world and I often find myself running for the camera.

Observing the evening skies in Miami is just one of the many small moments I'm doing my best to savor as this summer zips by. To me, these small moments are what make an experience real. They make a lasting impression when the excitement of a grand adventure begins to fade to the background. There's no doubt this summer will be fast and furious with no shortage of excitement. With several long haul flights booked, indulging in a 5-star wining and dining weekend in Lake Como, experiencing the glitz and glamour of South Beach, and treking across exotic Thailand and Vietnam, this summer promises unforgettable experiences. It's my personal goal to discover what lies beneath the surface of each adventure.

The first week of summer vacation I found myself in Lake Como, Italy just outside of Milan. The Kohlhoff family had reunited once again, but what brought us to the lake this time was a cousin's wedding. A wedding for which no expense had been spared. Wth a fairy tale ceremony and blowout reception held at Casta Diva Villa and a brunch held at the Villa d'Este (yes, Mr. Clooney is an esteemed client), I can say with confidence that I might never experience a weekend quite as special as this again. While attending a wedding fit for a celebrity was unique, my savory moments were found in, what else, the food! But, let's face it, there's really no moment that surpassed another on this trip. It's Italy afterall. Always spectacular.

Fast forward five days and I've landed in Miami. Returning to the States is always a little strange at first. However, I immediately found Miami to be comfortable. Why? For starters it's a Spanish speaking beach town not unlike Barcelona. People are out to see and be seen no matter the time of day. People are casual beachgoers by day and raging partiers by night, and as a visitor who's still green to how life works here, I have to admit it's awfully tempting to take part. Jeff's boss, Michi, has already taken very good care of us and his roommate seems to know just about everyone in this town. So, what's the one small thing I've noticed? In Miami it seems that life is all about who you know. Hmmm, this is going to be good.





0 comments: